Dec 12 2020 Funky Monkey 5K & Fun Run Goes Virtual
2020 Funky Monkey 5K & Fun Run Goes Virtual
UPDATED ON 3/13/20
Updated on March 13, 2020
Because the coronavirus continues to spread rapidly, we are opting to exercise caution, and turn the 2020 Funky Monkey 5K & Fun Run into a virtual event. Here’s what that means!
PRE-REGISTERED PARTICIPANTS OF THE 5K OR FUN RUN:
Jump on your treadmill, find a track, or run a familiar route and complete a 5K (3.1 miles) or Fun Run (3/4 mile) from anywhere on Saturday, March 14. We would love for you to share photos of yourself in your race gear or at your personal finish line on our Funky Monkey 5K & Fun Run Facebook event page.
If you’ve pre-registered, you can still pick up your t-shirt and bib number at Thompson Engineering, 2970 Cottage Hill Rd., on Friday, 11am – 2pm and Saturday at the same location 8am – 10am. Plus, there’s still free ice cream! Cammie’s Old Dutch Ice Cream Shoppe will give pre-registered participants with a bib number a free scoop at the Old Shell Road location through Friday, March 20.
If you’ve pre-registered in support of your favorite charity, then your Charity Challenge vote still counts! Watch our Facebook page for a live announcement to learn who earned this year’s $1,000 grant from the Thompson Foundation!
The Funky Monkey was created to promote fitness, philanthropy, and fun. This may not be the event we planned for 2020, but we want to do what’s best for our community. So let’s get some fresh air and exercise on Saturday, March 14, eat some ice cream, and continue to raise money for good causes! That puts us all in the winners’ circle!
Mobile, Ala., Dec. 12, 2019 – A $1,000 grant from the Thompson Foundation and Mobile’s Biggest Banana Split will highlight the 9th Annual Funky Monkey 5K & Fun Run scheduled for Saturday, March 14, 2020. The event will be held on the University of South Alabama campus at Moulton Tower as a fundraiser for the Thompson Foundation. Registration is available online through March 13.
The Funky Monkey is a family-friendly event that encourages fitness, philanthropy, and fun. Participants can choose to take part in a 3.1-mile run, jog or walk through the campus or a ¾-mile fun run. All participants are invited to enjoy the event’s favorite feature, Mobile’s Biggest Banana Split provided by Cammie’s Old Dutch Ice Cream Shoppe.
During an awards ceremony following the race, the recipient of the Funky Monkey Charity Challenge will be awarded a $1,000 grant from the Thompson Foundation. The Charity Challenge encourages non-profits to recruit supporters to participate in the charity’s name. It is just one way the event raises funds for charitable causes. All funds raised at the 2019 Funky Monkey will be returned to non-profits in the communities where Thompson employees live and work.
Funky Monkey Highlights
- Funky Monkey 5K start time – 8am
- Funky Monkey Fun Run start time – 8:45am
- Funky Monkey Charity Challenge – Any 501(c)3 charity is invited to recruit supporters to register. The charity with the most support receives $1,000 from the Thompson Foundation. (Deadline to register is March 13.)
- Mobile’s Biggest Banana Split by Cammie’s Old Dutch Ice Cream Shoppe. Watch as it’s created and then enjoy a bite of a huge banana split at the Funky Monkey Finish Party! Other finish party perks include hot dogs and door prizes.
- Register online or pick up a registration form at McCoy’s Outdoor, Run-N-Tri, or Fleet Feet in Mobile or Running Wild in Fairhope. Day of registration begins at 6:30 a.m. at the University of South Alabama Intramural Fields.