ECUA Water/Wastewater Engineering
Thompson Engineering works regularly with the Emerald Coast Utilities Authority (ECUA) as an On-Call Consultant providing professional engineering services. In its role, Thompson has assisted ECUA with numerous improvements to its water and wastewater systems. Some of the projects Thompson has been involved with include:
- Elysian Fields Wastewater Improvements project: Upgrades of existing water lines and improved fire protection. Scope of the work expanded after cost-savings due to lower construction costs of sewer improvements and our advice to eliminate a pump station with new sewer extension to existing gravity system.
- Gary Circle Drainage Upgrade and Wastewater Improvements: Thompson was contracted to design a sanitary sewer system extension to serve residents with onsite sewage systems and drainage upgrades.
- Bush Street: Design of a sewer extension to provide residents with service. Thompson Engineering located each resident’s home outfall and on-site sewage system (septic tank) to assure proper planning for connection to the public sanitary sewer line. To facilitate the extension, Thompson Engineering worked with ECUA and residents to prepare easements in the existing subdivision for installation and maintenance of the sewer extension.
- Innerarity Point Road Sub-system Improvements: A limited construction budget was top of mind for this project. Thompson avoided construction overruns with a thorough survey of more than three miles of subdivision streets, locating existing utilities, driveways, trees, etc. Thompson compiled an existing conditions map using survey results and Geographic Information System (GIS) data to provide approximate locations of existing waterlines on the construction plan set. Thompson assisted ECUA throughout the construction process and, upon completion, compiled Contractor and Inspector information to produce as-built plans for ECUA’s GIS database.
- Marie Ave. and Chapel Street areas: Thompson was contracted for engineering design plans for upgrades to various waterlines where existing water mains were undersized for demand and anticipated growth. For each identified location, Thompson Engineering compiled information to form design base maps including actual field survey of each street, as-built drawings of previous County and ECUA projects as well as ECUA-provided GIS data. Thompson Engineering prepared construction documents for the required waterline upgrades and assisted ECUA during the bidding process. During construction, Thompson staff helped troubleshoot and provided professional engineering services when conditions warranted design changes.
- Norris Avenue/Truman Avenue: Provided design services for water main upgrades and assistance throughout the construction process.