MDOT Environmental Stewardship and Compliance
The Mississippi Department of Transportation (MDOT) chose Thompson Engineering as its partner in the development and implementation of its Environmental Stewardship and Compliance Program. This comprehensive environmental initiative aims to make efficient, effective, and environmentally conscious use of resources with the goal of financial and ecological benefits. Thompson Engineering also assistsMDOT in keeping compliance with all state and federal environmental rules and regulations. As consultants, Thompson Engineering is critical in the following practices:
- Development, implementation and management of MDOT’s storm water compliance operations.
- Review and updating of MDOT’s environmental policies and procedures and compliance with state and federal rules and regulations.
- Review of erosion control plans on MDOT, State Aid, and Local Public Agency (LPA) construction projects, as well as MDOT maintenance projects.
- Conducting monthly field oversight inspections on all MDOT construction and maintenance projects and permitted work on state right-of-way where soils are being disturbed, as well as State Aid and LPA construction projects that are federally funded.
- Providing storm water training for MDOT and contractors’ personnel and specialized storm water training for maintenance personnel.
- Development and implementation of an Environmental Management System (EMS).
- Development of an Environmental Manual.
- Providing “On Call” assistance to MDOT in dealing with environmental issues related to storm water permitting and erosion and sediment control issues.
- Two unannounced inspections performed on each project per year.
- All other environmental tasks as directed by MDOT’s Program Manager.