SR 14 Bridge Replacements & Realignment
In 2017, Thompson Engineering assisted the Alabama Department of Transportation (ALDOT) with construction surveying and construction engineering and inspection (CEI) for a project to build new bridges over Ivy Creek and Beaver Creek on SR 14 in Autauga County, Alabama. The new bridges were built alongside the old bridges in an effort to avoid lane closures. The 18-month, $8 million project also included the realignment of SR 14 and the demolition of the old bridges.
Thompson’s construction service tasks included:
- Verifying the existing control points before work began.
- Staking the acquired right-of-way for clearing.
- Providing the contractor with a grade book for finished grade elevations.
- Surveying the site monthly to provide calculations and quantities for the following pay items:
- Unclassified excavation
- Borrow excavation
- Structure excavation
- Underwater backfill
- Topsoil from stockpiles
- Foundation backfill
- Assisting the ALDOT project manager with calculations when changes to the plans had to be made.
- Providing as-built drawings upon completion of the project.